Monday, July 19, 2021

The Werebears of Adengaan - Chapter Eleven

 The Werebears of Adengaan - Chapter Eleven

by

MC

Even at the horse's slow walk it was only a couple of minutes before they arrived in front of Taban's house. Taban jumped out of the wagon before it was even stopped he was so eager to see his father. Cries of "Papa!" came from the boy as he approached the front door. The door opened at the same time he got to the house. The large man with brown hair and a close-cropped beard who filled the doorway was surprised by his son running into him and giving him a huge hug.

"TABAN!" the man said in surprise. His voice started to shake as he held the boy tightly!

"By the Gods, you're alive! I couldn't pay the ransom, son. I tried, I tried everything, but I just didn't have the money. I feared you were dead. Gods, I'm so glad to see you alive!"

The man held the boy close, eyes closed, expressing his relief and joy simply with a warm smile and tears that streamed down his cheeks into his beard. He opened his eyes after a few moments and pushed the boy away to inspect his condition.

"How are you? Are you hurt?"

"No, papa. I'm fine," the boy said and pointed to the wagon, "these men rescued me from the bandits and brought me back here. Brunaulf dismounted and walked over to the man to introduce himself.

"Brunaulf," he said, extending his hand.

"Stodun" the man replied, extending his hand to firmly welcome the werebear before speaking.

"I don't know how you did it, but you saved my Son's life. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I know what its like to be as scared and desperate as your boy. It's the least I could do."

Stodun looked past Brunaulf at his companions on the wagon, noting Gaden in the makeshift gurney. He thought for a moment and addressed Brunaulf.

"There is no way I can repay you for saving the life of my only son, but I would like to try. My home is modest but I have a spare room. Your companion can rest here until he is fit to travel. Please, come in and be my guest. I can get medical attention for him as well. I insist!"

Brunaulf smiled.

"I appreciate and accept the offer. A room would be great, but we have his injuries taken care of. Thank you Stodun."

"It is but a trifle toward the debt of gratitude I have to you. Come in and let me show you where the room is, then I must let my wife know we will have guests for the evening meal."

Brunaulf and Karn carried Gaden into the home and moved him from the gurney to a comfortable bed in Stodun's spare room, returning the gurney to the wagon. Gaden didn't protest as much as before which the werebears took as a good sign that the healing was continuing. As he rested for a couple of hours prior the evening meal, Brunaulf told Stodun the story of how they found the boy and a summary of the events that transpired to rescue him including how Gaden risked his life against the mage. The relieved father wouldn't have believed being outmanned like the trio was could be successful if it wasn't for Taban swearing what they said was true. Stodun informed Brunaulf and Karn that this wasn't the first time he heard about kidnappings and raiding parties. Ascot is only one of two larger towns between Adengaan and Iphale and reports had come in from both directions that travellers were being acosted far more than usual as of late.

The evening meal was a bountiful one of roasted meat, root vegetables, bread, cheese, wine and mead. Everyone ate well especially the werebears who were happy their companion was in a place of safety. Stodun's wife was an excellent cook and it didn't take long for bellies to be full and mead making them feel relaxed and at ease. Brunaulf took a plate of food to Gaden who for the first time since his injury seemed eager to eat and even asked for seconds which he finished before falling back alseep. Brunaulf knew, personally, that increased appetite is the first sign of the change and made mental note he would have to buy supplies or Gaden would eat this man out of house and home. That could wait for later. Tonight was a night to relax, to enjoy some drink in a safe place, grateful they all survived the ordeal.

The following morning Stodun had to open his shop so he said goodbye to his guests early before they ate breakfast. Karn chatted with the man's wife about food prep while Brunaulf brought some smoked meat and fresh eggs to Gaden for breakfast. The man greedily accepted the food and started wolfing it down.

"Thanks Brunaulf," Gaden said between mouthfuls, “I’m famished!”

"You're welcome love. I'm glad you're eating so well. Are you feeling better?"

"Much! I'm still in pain, but it seems to be getting better and sensation's coming back to my legs. I can't move them but it feels like I sat wrong and they fell asleep and now they're starting to wake up."

Brunaulf smiled at his lover. "When I saw you there on the ground right after it happened... your body was so, lifeless, I thought I’d lost you."

"I thought I was a goner too." Gaden agreed. He smiled in a mischievous kind of way.

"So, how did you start the change?" The mage inquired.

Completely thrown off guard by the question, Brunaulf simply said "What?"

"How did you start the change?" Gaden repeated. "Come on Brunaulf, the boulder broke my body, not my brain. There is absolutely no way I should have lived through that. I had a few hours, tops, before my body would fail. Yet here I am. Werebears supposedly can't perform magic the way I know it. So, either you've been hiding that you're the most powerful herbalist among the five city-states, or you figured out how to initiate the change."

Brunaulf sat next the bed, speechless for a moment. In his worry that he would lose the man he loved forever, he forgot about the mental discipline Gaden possessed. He nodded to imply he agreed with what Gaden said before he spoke.

"Blood. Its a vital fluid, very fast acting. I sliced my hand open and let it flow into your mouth. You received enough, obviously, for the change to start. It's also why your hunger is going into overdrive, no doubt to repair the damage to your body as well as put on some size."

The smile vanished from Brunaulf's face.

"I did it without your consent." Brunaulf said. "I couldn't stand to see you die because of my recklessness. I love you so much. I know you said you would’ve made the choice, but I didn't know if you saying that was because you were dying. I feel so guilty that..."

Gaden lifted a hand to stop him.

"You remember a few nights ago when we camped, when you told me about what you went through as a boy?"

Brunaulf nodded.

"What you went through, and still became the loyal, steadfast, honourable man you are today?" Gaden paused for a moment. "I made the choice that night."

Brunaulf blinked. Gaden nodded. The big man smiled broadly as the guilt of his decision was softened by Gaden's words. When Gaden laid there, his body broken telling him he would change, it wasn't just the words of a dying man to comfort those he loved, but a sincere choice. He bent over and kissed his love before taking his empty plate to return it to the kitchen.

"Rest now, Gaden. You need it."

Brunaulf met Karn in the kitchen and made a plan to get some supplies. The town had a well stocked market area so the pair did some exploring. Thinking about what the man who sheltered them said about not having the money to save his son, Brunaulf went overboard buying supplies. King Halben was generous with his money to ensure their trip would be successful and he intended to make sure that money would go to good use. The pair of werebears returned to Stodun's, their cart loaded down as much as it could carry, and after unloading their wares started to formulate a plan for their next steps.

The trio faced their situation. Gaden's injured state meant a two week journey, minimum, to Adengaan. Overland travel to “home” as Karn called it would be much longer than that. Staying in Ascot would attract too much attention as the physical changes would start to accelerate. It seemed of the choices available, heading to Adengaan would be the best of the worst. None seemed happy with the decision.

“I'll go head in bear form,” Karn decided, “I won't have to stick to the paths and roads. It will shave time off so Garret and the others can help me prepare the house and stock up supplies for his transformation.”

“No way,” Brunaulf countered, “splitting up is a bad idea. I can take care of myself but Gaden's injured. I can't hold against a raiding party alone.”

Karn frowned.

“We need to get a message to our family in Adengaan. Preparations have to be made. We don't have the conveniences and experience of the entire community, and we'll have to improvise something for the rituals involved.”

The two werebears thought about how to break the impass.

“I could get a message through.” Gaden offered.

The two looked at him. Gaden continued.

“I mean, I think I can. Or I could, I don't know.”

Brunaulf did not seem convinced. “Doesn't going through the change prevent you from using magic?”

Gaden contemplated for a moment, scanning the room. He spotted a candle on a small stand. Concentrating, he willed the candle to light. It was a basic spell, one of the first he learned to perform correctly. With some concentration, the candle came alight.

“It's not gone completely, yet,” Gaden said pointing to the lit candle, “it was harder for sure. I suspect as the transformation continues it will get harder still.” He took a moment to evaluate the situation before continuing.

“Teleporting myself, much less the three of us, is definitely out in my condition, but I think I can get a message across. Get us some help anyway. Jamder's my best chance I think.”

Karn's expression changed momentarily before returning to a neutral face. He looked to Brunaulf who nodded.

“If you can, do it,” Karn agreed.

Gaden closed his eyes in concentration and began the will focus required for the spell. Contacting his former teacher, a man who he was familiar with, should have been an easy matter, but now it felt difficult as if he was a novice once again. The sensation reminded him of trying to draw honey through a small tube. Reaching out he found the mind he wanted to reach and established contact. Struggling to hold the link, he managed to convey he was in Ascot staying with a man named Stodun and that he was injured before the link failed. The young mage opened his eyes.

“I think I got a message through. We'll know soon enough.”

Karn's confidence was not high as they heard the door to the home open. Stodun returned from his shop to make sure his guests were comfortable. They heard an exclamation of delight from the man as the werebears made their way to the front room.

“What's all this?” Stodun looked around at the hefty amount of provisions.

Karn smiled, “Our way of thanking you for your hospitality.”

The man stood there in astonishment and shock.

“First you save my son, now you stock my larder,” looking around at the bounty before him, he continued, “your generosity is too much. I cannot accept this.”

Karn was having none of this, but smiled as he figured out how to convince him.

“As a subject of the realm, you can, and you must. King Halben would be outraged if you refused His gift.” Karn slipped into the more formal tone he had used while serving the king.

“King Halben?” the proud father said, surprised.

“Indeed, His Most Royal Majesty of Adengaan Himself,” Karn confirmed, “what we neglected to mention last night was that we were here at the behest of His Majesty, King Halben. These brigands have been raiding caravans on the main road with increased ferocity and frequency. We were directed to investigate and to put a stop to it.”

Karn continued despite Stodun's astonished expression.

“So you see, in helping us in our time of need, you have helped King Halben, and His Majesty is quite lavish in his rewards to those who provide aid and comfort to His soldiers. As we three are in His loyal service, compensation is most appropriate. As for you, His subject, to refuse His largesse would be a proufound insult.” Karn smiled warmly, his facial expression conveying appreciation. In his mind he chuckled at the corner he’d painted Stodun into.

“Well,” Stodun contemplated, “I certainly do not wish to insult His Majesty. I humbly, thank His Highness AND you, for everything.” The man smiled.

Stodun was halfway through putting the supplies away when a knock came at the door. He opened to the door to be greeted by an old man with a long white beard. The man who introduced himself as Jamder was a “travelling companion” of the three men the store owner was hosting. The hunter welcomed the old man inside. After some pleasantries and a curt nod between the old mage and his former lover, the werebears and elder mage excused themselves to check in on Gaden while Stodun continued to organize the bounty the King had provided. The werebears led the way to Gaden’s bedside and Jamder closed the door behind him. Immediately he went to the young man’s side.

“We were sent here under orders from Halben, I mean, King Halben,” Brunaulf began, correcting his slight informality, “raiding parties have been attacking caravans especially on routes leading to and from the five city-states.”

“Halben, rather, His Majesty,” started Jamder correcting his own informality, “is concerned about bandits? Raiding happens all the time. He should have bigger fish to fry. Risking lives over bandits is questionable.” He didn't look up from Gaden once as he continued giving him the once over.

Karn spoke up.  “These bandits are more organized, cohesive; and there's magic involved.”

Jamder looked up at the elder werebear. Karn continued.  “The brigand’s mage was the reason Gaden almost died. Had it not been for Brunaulf, indeed, he would be dead.”

Gaden spoke up at this point.  “I'm going through the transformation, Jamder. I made the choice of my own free will.”

Jamder looked back and forth between the three of them, his neutral expression belied by a series of faint facial changes. His gaze settled on Brunaulf staring for a few seconds before speaking.

“You and I will talk later,” he said flatly. Karn started to move in a protective fashion but Jamder raised a hand, “but what's done is done. Tell me everything that happened and don't leave out any detail no matter how small it might seem, especially about anything related to magic.”

Karn, taking the lead, explained their plan to teleport to Ascot then travel towards Adengaan with a decoy. He described how they detected the bandits and went to their camp and the ensuing battle that left Gaden broken and practically dead. Brunaulf volunteered some information about Gaden rescuing him from the enchantment he was under, but carefully omitted details of what he was experiencing. Karn finished the story with how they canvassed the area for information prior to preparing Gaden for transport as he fished out the papers he found at the desk in camp.

“These were the only things I found that seemed important,” Karn said as he handed the papers over, “I’m guessing they belonged to their mage, most outlaws are barely literate and incapable of whatever the language on those sheets might be. I couldn’t make heads or tails of them, and I’m hardly illiterate.”

Jamder studied the papers carefully before standing up and placing them on the bed next to Gaden. The elder mage cast a spell and the runes on the pages began to glow. They re-arranged themselves on the page into what seemed to be another language. Jamder's face belied his surprise as he read the pages, pages none of the others could make out. He looked up with concern at his companions when the parchments spontaneously burst into flames. Gaden yelped as the others quickly snuffed out the small flames.

“Damn,” Jamder started, shaking his head, “I must be getting old. I should have expected that.” He was referring to the protection put on the parchments and how after being read they would disintegrate. His thoughts turned back to the more immediate matters in front of him.

“So, I take it you need to get Gaden to... the community?”

The werebears nodded.

“Very well,” the old man conceded, “make reason with your host to take your leave. Once we're out of town I'll take care of the rest. I won't be able to stay. In fact I must go to Adengaan at once after I'm sure you're okay. It appears may have to come out of retirement in some capacity.” Gaden shot him a quizzical look.

“I'll explain later, dear boy,” Jamder said. “the priority now is to get you sorted out.”

Brunaulf and Jamder helped load Gaden into the gurney while Karn spoke with Stodun thanking him for his help. The hunter/trapper seemed surprised at such a sudden departure, and though disappointed they wouldn't be staying, expressed his gratitude once again for saving his son and for the generosity of His Majesty. Stodun told them they would always have a place at his table if they were in Ascot again as he shook Karn's hand. With the four of them loaded they started the horse on a slow trot and headed out of town.

As they rounded a corner in the wilderness, Jamder stood up in the wagon and with a quick flash the entire entourage, horse wagon and all, blinked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment