Wednesday, July 7, 2021

The Werebears of Adengaan - Chapter Seven

 (apologies for the gap in postings... the owners of the Cave were away.  We return you now to the story already in progress)

The Werebears of Adengaan - Chapter Seven

by

MC

Gaden and Brunaulf took the opportunity to exchange notes while Karn was inside, each gleaning small insights from the other about what might be going on inside the house. Both looked up and abruptly stopped their conversation as Karn emerged from the house. His face was slightly grim, but otherwise expressionless.

"Do you have the answers you were looking for?" The older werebear asked the young mage. The young mage nodded. "Good. Lets get going then" He started walking in the direction they came.

Gaden wanted to take a few minutes to say hello to his father and a few others, but given hat transpired he thought better of it. There would be plenty of other chances to visit over the course of the next year and he had to be patient. Brunaulf and Gaden started walking quickly to catch up to the elder bear whose pace was unwavering as he walked out of the town. They walked in silence contemplating their own thoughts as they left Tenby. They rounded a corner and crossed a small stream putting them out of sight of the village.

"You up for this?" Brunaulf asked his lover.

"Don't have much choice, do I?" He smiled weakly.

They prepared for teleport as they had before. Unlike the way here, it seemed more gentle, comforting, from the two bears. Gaden took a deep breath and visualized the mage's guild. It took another herculean effort, but he managed to get them reasonably close - if the fields outside the city walls is considered close. He started in on the dry heaves as the two werebears looked on patiently waiting for the nausea to subside.

"Go on, Brunaulf," Gaden urged in between bouts of dry heaves, "I'll be okay."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," another heave, "I need to think."

Brunaulf stared at his lover for a few moments when a large hand rested gently on his shoulder.

"Come, son," Uncle Karn said quietly, "give him his space."

Brunaulf nodded and held his gaze on the young mage heaving for a few seconds as he started walking toward the city with his adopted father.

Gaden started having an internal monologue with himself, cursing his body for having such an odd quirky reaction to being teleported. He cursed Jamder for leaving out such an important part of who he was. He cursed Jamder for omitting what he could be out of his life. He cursed the choice before him. He cursed the day he found out about werebears. He cursed his entire existence. Everything seemed so simple when he set out for Adengaan, and now less than a month later his entire world was upside down. It was a good fifteen minutes before the nausea subsided and as he started walking toward the city, as the different lines of thought continued to collide in his head he realized there may be only one way to resolve this. He needed to get drunk.

"So… Uncle," Brunaulf began hesitantly once they were out of earshot of Gaden, "why did I never meet Jamder?"

"He left earlier in the year I first met you at the gate." No further information was offered by the older werebear.

"He was a mage at the guild too?"

"Yes."

"And he chose not to go through the transformation?"

Karn stopped walking but kept his eyes forward and sighed.

"Correct." He resumed walking. They continued walking in silence for a few minutes while Brunaulf contemplated the answers he was given.

"I understand now." Brunaulf said.

"Understand what?" His Uncle queried, having missed what was meant. Brunaulf walked a little slower, carefully trying to measure his words.

"I understand why you tried to hide this life from me when I was a boy, why you gave me so many warnings about falling in love, why you seemed to resent who you were sometimes and didn't want me to follow in the werebear path."

"Do you regret it?" His adopted father asked pensively.

"Regret what?" Now it was Brunaulf's turn to be confused. Karn clarified.

"Regret following your old man down the same path, knowing you may go down the same road as me with someone you love?" Brunaulf took a few moments to contemplate what his Uncle was asking before answering with philosophical clarity.

"Do I regret your help at the gate all those years ago, following your rules as a boy and growing into a man under your guidance? Do I regret feeling love from Garret and so many others in the brotherhood as I changed into what I am today? Do I regret the successful life I have forged for myself thanks to you?" He stopped walking to face the older werebear and put a hand on his shoulder.

"No, papa” he paused, his eyes glossy with tears, “not for one second. If I had it to do over… even the beatings at the orphanage… everything… I would. Willingly. I love you, papa."

Karn stood there motionless. It was the first time the man had called him anything other than "uncle". With that simple name, his son had touched the very center of the old bear’s soul more deeply than anything he’d ever felt. He grabbed the stout bear and hugged him hard.

"I love you too, son", he said with a catch in his voice.

They walked in silence for the rest of the journey home.

Gaden woke the next morning hungover, hoping it was all just a dream. It wasn't. Groaning, he turned over and threw the blanket over his head, but his bladder was insisting he should get up. Reluctantly, he went over to the chamberpot and relieved himself. The room was spinning and the sun was far too bright. He almost wished he had teleported just so it wouldn't feel as bad. A soft knock on his door reverberated across his temples and he groggily answered the door.

"Yes?" Gaden asked, squinting his eyes.

"BY DECREE OF HIS MAJESTY," the page shouted, causing Gaden to scrunch his eyes closed in pain, "YOU ARE TO ATTEND AN AUDIENCE BEFORE HIS HIGHNESS IN THIRTY MINUTES!" The page turned on his heel and walked away.

"Pompous ass," he muttered before going back in and closing the door. Fishing through his belongings he found one last hangover tonic - he made a mental note to make more - and quaffed it in one gulp. The room stopped spinning almost immediately. A half hour wouldn't give him much time so he quickly cleaned himself up, donned a clean doublet and trousers, and started making his way to the royal hall.

The page outside the door recognized him and smiled in quite a friendly manner. Gaden smiled back not wanting to be offensive. The page turned his attention to the door handle and drew a deep breath.

"GADEN OF TENBY PRESENTS HIMSELF AS COMMANDED BY HIS MAJESTY, KING HALBEN OF ADENGAAN!" The page announced.

Gaden looked forward, but caught Brunaulf out of the corner of his eye. He walked down the carpeted aisle, stopping halfway to the king and dropping on one knee with head bowed.

"How may I serve Your Majesty?" Gaden politely asked.

"Rise, Gaden," King Halben commanded. As Gaden stood up he continued, "We know you are new to the guild, but we may need someone with magical skill, and we have already sent too many others on assignments."

"We have recently received reports that caravans are being raided along the major routes leading to the five major city-states. We have dispatched aid to assist, but alas there are two routes which will be our responsibility to investigate as they have had increased activity far more than usual. One route is from Iphale to Ascot and the other is from Ascot to Adengaan. We are to send you, Gaden, to investigate the route from Ascot to Adengaan. Reports indicate a surge in raiding roughly two days south from Ascot."

Gaden contemplated the information, then spoke. "Does Your Majesty wish me to acquire additional intelligence on the matter, or shall I try to eliminate this threat?”

"You are to do everything in your power to prevent future raids" the King answered.

"Does your majesty have any additional information on these raiders?" the mage asked.

"We do have reports but they are contradictory or inconclusive. Some report kidnappings, but others are only interested in specific wares. We surmise there is magic involved based on some accounts, but exact details of the magic involved are sparse."

Gaden turned this information over in his head. It seemed risky, but he thought he figured out a way to broach the subject he wanted to tactfully.

"Your Majesty, " Gaden bowed, "I would be honoured to investigate and rout these raiders if it is in my power. However, I would want to maximize my chances for success. I am skilled in magic of course, but my skills in combat are sparse. I humbly request one man to accompany me. A man with combat skills will greatly increase my chance to please Your Majesty with my results."

He nodded in the direction of Brunaulf, "I have seen Brunaulf on the training fields and he seems to be a man other soldiers respect. Moreover, being First on your honour guard implies greater combat skills. Therefore, I humbly request Brunaulf be allowed to accompany me on this mission, Your Majesty."

On the outside, Brunaulf showed no emotion. On the inside, he thought Gaden was out of his mind. And Ascot was the last place he wanted to go.

"Your arguments have merit, Gaden of Tenby." The King smiled. "Very well. Brunaulf, you are to accompany Gaden on this mission. You will both leave at once. We expect you will use magical means to start in Ascot and work your way south. They may expect investigation coming from Adengaan."

"Yes, Your Majesty" Gaden said, bowing and backing up to leave the chamber.

Well clear of the chamber, the young mage began walking down the hall leading out when he heard heavy armoured footsteps behind him.

"Are you out of your damn mind?" Brunaulf asked trying to catch up, "this isn't a game in the training grounds. This is real!"

"Relax," Gaden said quietly and looking around to make sure he wouldn't be heard. "Besides it gives us more time to spend together. Since when is that a bad thing?"

"So you've made your decision?" the werebear asked hopefully.

"Not yet," Gaden said as Brunaulf's face showed disappointment, "but I'm not saying no. This is all still so new. I just need time, that's all. Give me some time."

The werebear stood there, facial expression unchanging, studying the Gaden’s face. Snorting out through his nose, he started walking away and out of the palace.

"Be at my house in two hours."

Two hours later the mage arrived at Brunaulf's house. He went to knock on the door, but the door opened before he could knock.

"Come in Gaden." Brunaulf offered. Gaden entered the foyer and as soon as the door was closed grabbed the werebear in a huge embrace and gave him a kiss. Brunaulf returned the kiss putting his hand behind the mage's head. A gravelly voice interrupted their kiss.

"SO, just WHAT are your intentions toward my son?" Karn said from the dining room, smiling. Gaden broke away and turned to face the large man.

"Hi Karn," Gaden said warmly, "how are you?"

Understanding what the mage was really asking, Karn replied, "Better, thanks."

"I told him about the stunt you pulled," Brunaulf began.

"And?" Gaden questioned.

"I thought it was cute." Karn offered smiling.

"You're both nuts." Brunaulf said flatly. "Anyway, if we're going to do this, there are two conditions. First, my papa comes with us. Two werebears doubles our chances. Second," Brunaulf's tone went dark, "I have some 'affairs' to wrap up in Ascot. Whatever happens, you are NOT to interfere. Do we agree? Not that you have a choice, but I want your word."

He looked at the man he loved, searching for information. His face was scowling. Whatever he had to take care of in Ascot was making him visibly upset. Maybe he could help somehow. Gaden began to speak.

"In Ascot, maybe I could..."

"NO!" Brunaulf bellowed. Realizing his tone was way too harsh, he started again, softer.

"No, you couldn't. These affairs are mine, and mine alone. I trusted you when we went to Tenby, I need you to trust me now. I may explain in time. Regardless, no interference."

Gaden looked at the werebears. They both had serious looks on their faces. If he needed to handle this on his own, so be it.

"I don't like this," Gaden started, "but you have my word. I will not interfere in Ascot with your affairs."

Seemingly satisfied, Brunaulf drew his lover into a big hug and gave him a kiss.

"Thank you, Gaden. I have to prepare tonight. As much as I'd love your company, I need to focus. We'll leave in the morning." The werebear smirked.

"Don't eat breakfast."

Gaden parodied his smirk before giving him a hug and a kiss. He had some preparations of his own he wanted to make. The King mentioned there may be magic at play. He could take care of himself against magic, but he wanted assurance Brunaulf would have some "magical leverage" against wards, fields and traps. Gaden remembered seeing a blacksmith in the western quarter and got the perfect idea for the big man: an enchanted sword. Wandering through the western quarter he eventually got his bearings and found the blacksmith shop he saw on one of his travels in the area.

"Good Morning!" A big, burly, red bearded man greeted him as he stood up from his anvil.

"Good Morning!" Gaden replied, "I was wondering if I could commission you to make a sword for me. Its for someone... special."

The blacksmith put down his current project to give the man his undivided attention. As he approached the counter he reflexively sniffed in the air as if something tickled his nostrils. His already pleasant demeanor brightened a little more as he spoke.

"The name's Garret, and of course! I love making special work for.. special people. Give me the details of what you want."

Gaden wasn't sure what the man meant by the emphasis he put on "special", but let it pass as he explained what he needed.

"Thirty nine and a half inch blade. Thirty nine percent silver, fifty seven percent iron, four percent carbon." Gaden continued, "those metal proportions must be exact."

The blacksmith turned the numbers around in his head. "Challenging work, for sure, but I think I can handle it. I can have it ready for you by the end of the week. Thirty five percent over standard rate though, 'cause its not a typical sword."

"I need it tomorrow," Gaden countered. "I'll pay double. It's important."

Garret's smile waned slightly, "I appreciate the offer for extra coin I really do, but this isn't the kind of job I can rush. Tell you what, leave me your name and where you live, and the second it's done I'll send someone to have you collect it. No promises for tomorrow, but I'll try."

Gaden accepted that. It was better than nothing. If it couldn't be ready in time they would have to delay their departure. He would figure out some excuse to explain the delay, but it was important to have the sword before they left. He could enchant it on the road.

"My name's Gaden. I'm a mage at the Guild."

"Gaden" Garret repeated. He took another long sniff. Recognition spread over his face.

"Is this for Brunaulf?" The blacksmith asked, beaming with happiness.

"Uh, yes. How did you..."

"You'll have it tomorrow morning. Come by at ten. I have to get to work if you want it tomorrow. I have a late night ahead of me." He reached out a huge hand to shake on the deal and immediately turned to the forge to stoke the fire. Slightly confused, Gaden left the shop to return to his room and prepare for the journey.

The next morning, he returned to Garret's shop promptly at ten where a shiny sword was waiting on the counter.

“Good morning Gaden!” Garret greeted.

“Good morning Garret,” the mage returned the greeting, “it looks beautiful!”

He picked it up carefully holding it in his hand. The double edge blade felt light and balanced in his hand.

“Some of my better work,” the blacksmith offered, smiling, “if I may say so myself! It was a late night that's for sure, but the effort seemed to pay off.”

Gaden concurred. “Your payment, double rate as requested.”

Garret split half the coins off and pushed one stack back to the other side of the counter. “Normal rate. Friends and family get rush jobs free of charge.” The burly smith winked as he smiled. Gaden accepted the coins back, smiling, and wrapped the blade carefully in a leather wrapping to conceal it, then strapped it to his pack.

“He loves you… you know.” Garret stated.

“What?” Gaden was unprepared.

“Brunaulf... he loves you.” The blacksmith said simply. “Came to visit me about a week ago. It was 'Gaden' this and 'Gaden' that. I know love when I see it in a man's eyes, believe me.” Garret smiled wide. “He loves you. Remember that as you contemplate the choice.”

Slightly unnerved about a man he never met knowing so much about his personal life, Gaden thanked Garret again and headed off toward Brunaulf's house. It didn't take long to arrive and once again the door opened without him knocking.

“Must you do that EVERY damn time?” Gaden asked with a faked pained look.

“I can't help it if I'm psychic!” Brunaulf quipped.

They gave each other a huge hug and a long kiss. Karn cleared his throat before speaking.

“So, ready?”

Gaden broke the kiss to address Karn but stared directly at Brunaulf.

“I didn't eat breakfast, if that's what you mean” he said wryly. His big lover couldn't help himself and smiled. “Let's do this.”

“Now guys,” the mage started, “I've never been to Ascot, so I'm going to have to attempt something a bit unorthodox. Since you seem to know Ascot, Brunaulf, I'm going to need to concentrate as hard as you can on a place there. Do not think of a person. People are useless. I need a fixed point. It doesn't matter if its a rock, a house, a tree, whatever. Concentrate on that place and where it fits in your 'mental map' of the world, got it?”

Brunaulf nodded.

“Each of you, stand on one side of me and give me your hands. I want to make absolutely sure the link doesn't break.” The two werebears stood on each side, hands interlocked and squeezing tightly.

“Ok Brunaulf,” Gaden said, taking a deep breath,”go ahead”

Brunaulf started thinking about Ascot, putting his focus on the carriage house in front of the orphanage. He put all of his effort into remembering every board, every bale of hay, every thatch in the roof and where the building was in relation to the town.

Gaden reached his mind out to his lover's trying to tune in on the images he was seeing. The image started to take shape in Gaden's mind as the link strengthened.

“Good Brunaulf,” the mage encouraged, “concentrate hard!”

The big man redoubled his efforts, trying to bring every detail of that carriage house into sharp focus. With the image clearing in Gadens mind, he opened a connection to the ether and pushed with all his might to teleport himself and his two companions to the image he was seeing. In a blink they were outside the carriage house.

“It worked!” Brunaulf was amazed. “I didn't think it would work!”

Gaden was on all fours vomiting up bile.

“Gee, thanks Brun” and proceeded to vomit again.

Another ten to fifteen minutes later, Gaden felt well enough to stand. He hated the fact that he seemed to be the only person in the world who got sick when he teleported which is why he usually preferred a horse and carriage. Still, the nausea was passing and it was time to get to work.

“So, I think the first thing we should do is get supplies and...”

The thought was interrupted as the three heard a boy scream in the background somewhere on the other side of carriage house. Brunaulf was startled hearing the scream. As if recounting a memory, his face held a moment of fear before immediately switching to rage. Eyes squinting and striding with purpose, he marched around the other side of the carriage house toward the sound of the scream, his two companions in tow.


No comments:

Post a Comment